The Kakori train robbery
The Kakori train robbery was a conspiracy against the British Empire to help freedom fighters free the nation from British rule.
It took place in central Uttar Pradesh. The incident occurred at the town of Kakori, about 16 km from Lucknow which was where the train was headed.
Why did it take place?
- Ram Prasad Bismil ideated that the political dacoities must take place.
- He believed that the money belonging to the British government would have helped them purchase weapons.
- The Kakori Train Robbery was one of the HRA's many attempts to raise funding for its armed struggle against the British.
What really happened?
- A train at Kakori on the Lucknow-Saharanpur section was looted by freedom fighters.
- The train was carrying a government chest and was executed by 10 HSRA (Hindustan Socialist Republican Association) freedom fighters.
- But, the plan was uncovered later and resulted in the arrest of about 40 people by the government.
- While some revolutionaries were arrested and then detained, Swaran Singh, Ram Prasad Bismil, Ashfaqullah Khan, Rajendra Lahiri and Roshan Singh were given death sentences.
- Some were exiled to Kala Pani (Port Blair cellular jail).
Prominent Revolutionaries involved
- Swaran Singh
- Ram Prasad Bismil
- Ashfaqullah Khan
- Rajendra Lahiri
- Roshan Singh
- Sachindta Bakshi
- Chandrasekhar Azad
- Vishnu Sharan Dublish
- Keshab Chakravarthy,
- Banwari Lal
- Mukundi Lal
- Sachindra Nath Sanyal
- Manmathnath Gupta
#VajiramAndRavi #KakoriTrainRobbery #KakoriConspiracy #Kakori #Freedom #British